Wednesday, October 10, 2007

...and back

I finally had to leave the Africans - though HK is supposed to be pretty safe, I didn't like leaving all my stuff there out of my sight. I ended up moving to the Garden Hostel (mentioned above,) which is actually a Kung-fu hostel, meaning that there was a school based there and there was all sorts of funny looking equipment lying around. They had lockers for my stuff, but it wasn't as nice. If I had stayed there again, I would have simply used their lockers (which weren't assigned and didn't come with locks) and moved back upstairs again.

In any case, having gotten my passport back without a hitch, it was time to move on to Shenzhen, back in China. I took the train - you can basically take the subway all the way there - and I ended up staying in a nice hostel near an art gallery, where I met a British guy who had also stayed in the Garden Hostel the night before. I guess the backpacker community is pretty small...

So my intention was to bring an African back with me; alas, I was unsuccessful. I met this Ugandan woman at the first hostel in Hong Kong who was looking for teaching work, and I mentioned there was an English First language school in Yuyao near me. I went over there yesterday to see if they would hire an African - I've met English teachers with worse English than her - but they told me that all positions were currently filled, which I knew was rubbish. They're always hiring good foreign teachers when they can find them. I ended up at the manager's office in what almost felt like a job interview, I think she was walking a fine line between all the African positions being filled and wanting some work for me. For the moment I'm mostly interested in meeting their foreign teachers, though I may want to make some extra money later. The lady said that there's a Halloween party coming up, which I expressed some interest in - she said she may find some sort of role for me. I need to figure out what I can use for a costume. And this time it won't be Osama again.

No comments: